YLHS Music Curriculums

Back to Article
Back to Article

YLHS Music Curriculums

Eunice Ahn, Photojournalist

At YLHS, we have three different music classes, Choir, Band, and Orchestra. They all each have their own curriculums that make up the classes.

In Choir, the class offers two chloral lessons: Concert Choir and Vocal Ensemble. Mr. McCann (staff) 500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Band class offers a diversity of curriculums. Mr. Garcia (staff) introduced 5 different curriculums. The first is, Marching Band are students that do a field band, parade band, and guard. Guard performs at football games, band reviews (competitive parades), Pep Rallies, and Field Tournaments. Next is Jazz Band. They have a junior varsity and a varsity Jazz band that performs and competes at festivals. The third curriculum they offer is Drumline, and they perform with Marching Band at rallies, and they have a spring semester percussion. The fourth and unique curriculum they offer is winter guard. The color guard is part of Marching Band in the fall, and when it’s spring, they have their own competitive season. Finally, the last curriculum they offer is Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band. He stated that the students perform classical literature inside a theater.

The last music class here at YLHS is Orchestra. Mr. Mortenson (staff) stated that the main curriculum they have in orchestra is really just music. He said that they use books as well, practicing different scales with different keys and time signatures. He further said that they have a Bluetooth speaker and he uses it to have students listen to the song. That way, they can learn and study how it sounds like, and what they can do to make their playing sound better and just like the original.

Here at YLHS we offer three music classes which are Choi, Band, and finally Orchestra. They all each have their own unique system and curriculums.